Originally published in 1939, Massimo Scaligero never allowed La Razza di Roma (The Race of Rome) to be republished. The following selection from that book describes the spiritual basis for the founding of Rome. The following points highlight the gulf that separates the mentality and spirituality of the ancient Romans from moderns in the West today. Here are the main points from the text:
- Everything in Rome comes from a sacred, supernal sense of life.
- The rite then discloses a universalistic value assigning celebrations of nature, mystical and esoteric meanings, queries the celestial forces for the choice of location and evocations to demonic powers, the genius of the people, to the chthonic and uranic gods, for the fortune of the city that is going to arise.
- Suffice it to say that, in the same way that a modern with mechanical operations and procedures becomes master of distance, [the rite] gives form to matter and organizes its own outer life, so the ancient Roman Empire, through the ritual technique made perfect thanks to the regal-priesthood union that entailed the action of a self-conscious, “solar” will, and the body of a dynamic, mediating, “lunar” force, established an ascending contact with the magnetic forces of the universe and acted psychically through them.
- There existed a science of such action: unlike the mechanical sciences placing all men on the same levels (since mechanical means can be operated both by the learned and the ignorant), it required a spiritual dignity that was not for everyone; it demanded the presence of psychical qualities, in a dynamic and exceptional sense, and hence connected to a higher morality that was not at all different from that of the mystic, the priest. two races.
- In driving the trench, he lifts the plow where he wants the gates, so that it does not touch the ground. Then he raises the walls of the city limits, following the line of the trench, and outside, hugging the walls, dig the trench of the circumvallation.
- The same force of the rite ensures that the founders are liberated from the “impiety” of leaving the land of their forefathers and promotes a new link between soul and matter, between the spirit of the race and the land chosen for the foundation.
- What is necessary to emphasize is that the divine element constitutes the essential part of the birth of Rome, it is only the religious aspect of the mastery of events, of inevitability, obtained through the possession of transcendent energy that was familiar to the ancient Initiate, as the control and mastery of physical energies is to the contemporary engineer and mechanic.
Hence, pace the moderns, race is based on spiritual foundations, rather than biological. Thus the twins Romulus and Remus can be said to belong to different races. Rites have a real power, derived from their connection to supernal forces. They have to be done with precision, although the techniques are hidden and reserved to the few.
When men leave their homeland, that is an act of impiety against their ancestors and so it needs to be rectified. The Urbe is defined by its walls.
The complete text is found at The Race of Rome: Foundations.